Click on a mission to respond to current needs.
- The Carying Place
- Dorcas Ministries Food Pantry
- Down East Mission
- Hats for Duke
- Kingswood Elementary
- Methodist Build
The Carying Place
Genesis is beginning a new mission in the Cary area by partnering with The Carying Place. This organization serves the needy in our area by helping them transition from homelessness to independant living. Watch this space for updates and needs.
Dorcas Ministries Food Pantry
How can our family help?
- Purchase non perishable food items during regular grocery shopping, either on line or in person.
- A list of Food Pantry needs is located at https://dorcascary.org/donate-2/#Food-Donations
- Drop the items off at Dorcas Ministries – do NOT bring them to Genesis as we have no way to collect and deliver.
- You may visit the Dorcas Ministries website and click on their Amazon Wish List to purchase items online and have them shipped directly.
What should we purchase?
- It is up to you. Any non-perishable food item is appreciated.
- Genesis sponsors the baking shelf so you can focus on baking items if you wish.
Where do we drop off the food?
- Food donations should be delivered directly to the pantry, which is located at the front of the Dorcas Plaza, to the right of the thrift store. There’s a donation cart there on Mon-Fri from 9am-3pm and Saturday 10am-2pm for no contact drop-off.
Volunteers Needed! Dorcas Ministries is dependent on Genesis UMC Volunteers to keep the food pantry open on the 1st, 3rd and 5th Saturdays. Consider volunteering once or twice a month. You will work in the pantry with 2-3 others to sort food and greet shoppers.
The sign up link has been updated for July-December 2021. Here is the new link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0E4FA5AD2E5-genesis2
Questions? Contact Miss Inglis, email@example.com.
Down East Relief
Join us on the next Down East Relief trip on the third Saturday of each month. Assist with home repairs or build homes with Habitat for Humanity. firstname.lastname@example.org
Hats for Duke
Sew Hats for Cancer Patients! We are always in need of sewers. Pickup cut out hat patterns from Genesis along with sewing instructions. Hats are for cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy at Duke Hospital. For more information, contact Olwyn Oxenham at email@example.com
Genesis UMC supports the teachers and families at Kingswood Elementary throughout the year.
The Christmas Shop
This year, we are doing something a little different for our Christmas giving.
We are partnering with our C4C school, Kingswood Elementary, to set up a Christmas Shop for low-income families of Kingswood students. Parents will come to the shop and pick out free gifts for their children.
This will make your Christmas giving more personal. This is how you get involved!
First, participate in the November toy drive to fill the Christmas shop. The shop will be December 3,4, and 11th. All gifts need to be in by November 28th. Click this link to sign up today! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60B0C4DA9AF29A5FA7-christmas.
Thank you for your support!
Natalie Wilhelm, Christmas Shop Mission lead
You may also Adopt A Teacher by sending cards, occasional treats and prayers throughout the school year. Sign up here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSevTjBd5tOv8cjfu0i8c8_Vmk6IR-kh9kPP3xCFtRRv1IAW5g/viewform
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Genesis joins forces with other Methodist Churches to provide families with a Habitat for Humanity home they can proudly call their own. In 2021, we are helping build a home on Trimble avenue in Cary. Sign up at vhub.at/methodist. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Each fall, a team of Genesis members travels down east to help with Disaster Recovery and home repairs efforts. If you would like to learn more, email firstname.lastname@example.org