Lenten 40 items for 40 days
Participate in the 40 for 40 Food Drive each year during Lent. Our Lenten challenge is for each family to donate 40 items over the 40 days of Lent. Donations should be dropped off at Dorcas Food Pantry, 193 High House Road.
- The Carying Place
- Dorcas Ministries Food Pantry
- Down East Mission
- Hats for Duke
- Kingswood Elementary
- Methodist Build
The Carying Place
Genesis partners with The Carying Place. This organization serves the needy in our area by helping them transition from homelessness to independent living. Watch for updates and needs.
Dorcas Ministries Food Pantry
How can your family help?
- Volunteer! Dorcas Ministries is dependent on Genesis Volunteers to operate the food pantry on some Saturdays. Consider volunteering. You will work in the pantry with others to sort food and greet shoppers.
- Here is a link to the volunteer signup: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0E4FA5AD2E5-genesis2
- Throughout the year, purchase non perishable food items during your regular grocery shopping.
- Any non-perishable food item is appreciated.
- Genesis sponsors the baking shelf so you can focus on baking items if you wish.
- A list of Food Pantry needs is located at https://dorcascary.org/food-pantry-needs/
- Donations should be dropped off at Dorcas Food Pantry, 193 High House Road – on the west side of the building next to the food pantry, look for the white sign. Do NOT bring them to Genesis as we have no way to collect and deliver.
- Drop-off Hours:
- Monday – Friday 9am – 3pm
- Saturday 10am – 2pm
- Closed on Sunday
- Purchase items online and have them shipped directly. Visit the Dorcas Ministries website and click on their Amazon Wish List .
- Participate in the 40 for 40 Food Drive each year during Lent. Our Lenten challenge is for each family to donate 40 items over the 40 days of Lent. Donations should be dropped off at Dorcas Food Pantry, 193 High House Road.
Questions? Contact Missy Inglis, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Down East Relief
Join us on Down East Relief trip on the third Saturday of each month. The Down East team travels to the Goldsboro area to repair / build homes with Habitat for Humanity. Contact Julio Alvarez if you would like to join the team. email@example.com
Typical work/travel schedule:
6:45 AM – Meet at the church parking lot.
7:00 AM – Depart from the church parking lot
~8:15 AM – Arrive at work location (Depend on travel time)
8:15 AM – 12:00PM – Work
12:00 PM – 1:00PM – Lunch
1:00 PM – 2:30 PM – Work
2:30 PM – 3:00PM – Cleanup and load
3:00 PM – Depart work location
4:30 PM – Arrive at the church parking lot
Hats for Duke
Sew Hats for Cancer Patients! Hats are for cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy at Duke Hospital. This is a continuous mission throughout the year.
- We are always in need of sewers. Pickup cut out hat patterns from Genesis along with sewing instructions.
- Participate in hat cutting events to prepare the fabric for our sewers.
For more information, contact Olwyn Oxenham at firstname.lastname@example.org
Genesis UMC supports the teachers and families at Kingswood Elementary throughout the year.
How can your family help?
- Adopt a Teacher
- Each August, you may Adopt A Teacher. Sign up to send cards, occasional treats and prayers throughout the school year.
- The Christmas Shop
- Genesis partners with our Congregations for Children school, Kingswood Elementary, to hold a Christmas Shop for qualified families of Kingswood students. The Christmas Shop is held early in December. Kingswood parents come to the shop and pick out free gifts for their children.
- Help stock the Christmas Shop with toys! Each November, a toy drive is held to stock the shelves of the Christmas Shop. Watch for the Toy Drive sign up, and give generously.
- Helpers are needed to run the shop. Come and love on our neighbors at Kingswood! Watch for signups in November. Choose one shift or more. Set Up, Greet, Gift Wrap, Shop Help, Children’s Area help. Many hands make light work!
For more information email email@example.com.
Each Fall/Winter, Genesis joins forces with other Methodist churches to construct a Habitat for Humanity home that a family can proudly call their own. The 2023 build began on January 28, 2023. Volunteers assembled all the walls for a 2-story house and loaded them on trailers. Once permits are in place, the 2023 construction schedule and sign ups will be located at http://vhub.at/methodist. Contact our Genesis Coordinator, Jeff Cooper at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.