Genesis Missions Lenten Challenge!
While Lent may look different for us this year, we still have an opportunity to come together as a church family and serve our neighbors. Now more than ever before, many in our community are struggling to make ends meet. Dorcas Ministries Food Pantry needs our donations. The Mission team is challenging each of us to donate 40 food items to the pantry between now and Easter Sunday.
How can our family help?
- Purchase the items during regular grocery shopping, either on line or in person.
- Drop the items off at Dorcas Ministries – do NOT bring them to Genesis as we have no way to collect and deliver.
- Drop everything at once or drop items over time.
- If you prefer, you may visit the Dorcas Ministries website and click on their Amazon Wish List to purchase items and have them shipped directly.
What should we purchase?
- It is up to you. Any non-perishable food item is appreciated.
- Genesis sponsors the baking shelf so you can focus on baking items if you wish.
Where do we drop off the food?
- Food donations should be delivered directly to the pantry, which is located at the front of the Dorcas Plaza, to the right of the thrift store. There’s a donation cart there on Mon-Fri from 9am-3pm and Saturday 10am-2pm for no contact drop-off.
Prayerfully consider participating in this Lenten mission challenge. Participate as an individual, a family, or even partner with another family or neighbor.
Take a photo of the items you donate and share with us on the GUMC Member Group Facebook page.
Genesis Missions Team
Click on a mission to respond to current needs.
- The Carying Place
- Chatham Commons
- Dorcas Ministries Food Pantry
- Down East Mission
- Hats for Duke
- Kingswood Elementary
- Methodist Build
Genesis is beginning a new mission in the Cary area by partnering with The Carying Place. This organization serves the needy in our area by helping them transition from homelessness to independant living. Watch this space for updates and needs.
Become a Pen Pal! Write a note or card to your Chatham Commons pen pal once a month to encourage them! Any age may participate. Once you sign up, you will be assigned a name. Sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30E0F49ACAA23A57-chatham.
Volunteers Needed! Dorcas Ministries is dependent on Genesis UMC Volunteers to keep the food pantry open on the 1st, 3rd and 5th Saturdays. Please consider volunteering once or twice a month. You will work in the pantry with 2-3 others to sort food and greet shoppers. Shoppers do not enter the pantry. Dorcas has prepared a 12 minute video below that shows responsibilities of a volunteer and safety measures in place during the pandemic. Sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0f49acaa23a57-saturday . Questions? Contact Miss Inglis, email@example.com.
Join us on the next Down East Relief trip Saturday January 16. Assist with home repairs or build homes with Habitat for Humanity. firstname.lastname@example.org
Sew Hats for Cancer Patients! Pickup a portion of the 60 cut out hat patterns from room 212 along with sewing instructions. Hats are for cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy at Duke Hospital. For more information, contact Olwyn Oxenham at email@example.com
Genesis UMC supports the teachers and families at Kingswood Elementary throughout the year.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each fall season, Genesis joins forces with other Methodist Churches to provide families with a Habitat for Humanity home they can proudly call their own. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Our 2020 Fall Disaster Recovery Mission Trip was held Sunday-Friday October 25-30. If you would like to hear about our next trip, email firstname.lastname@example.org